I hope you are all well and enjoying this mild Winter! Although it has been fairly Spring-like with weather, it has been a very cold and flu ridden Winter so far, rampant with COVID, RSV, the flu and the common cold. During this season, it’s important to have a stacked home pharmacy, in the event that your household ends up getting sick!
My recommendations for adults:
1) Vitamin C - This can be taken daily to boost your immune system. The therapeutic dose to aid the immune system is 3000mg - 5000mg/day. This wonderful vitamin also helps with tissue repair and is a strong antioxidant, A staple for any at-home pharmacy!
2) Echinacea - This potent herb boosts the immune system when it is under-functioning. Use it when you feel a cold coming on, or are actively sick and want a boost. The dose is dependent on the specific product, but about 1ml of tincture 4x/day is what I recommend. I would also suggest taking echinacea in a “2 weeks on, then 1 week off” rotation.
3) Astragalus - This potent adaptogen helps increase your immune system’s power if it is under-functioning, so it is ideal to take it right when you start feeling sick. Do not use it when you actually ARE sick as the adaptogenic properties will bring down an overactive immune system which is the opposite of what you want when you are trying to fight an illness. Dose similarly to Echinacea – 2 weeks on, 1 week off and then repeat.
4) Andrographis - This herb is an immune system booster, especially for viral infections. It can be found in many combo products, but is also very strong and potent on its own. It functions similarly to Echinacea and is a good substitute for it if you need a really strong boost.
5) Probiotics - These are the best of the best with regards to immunity, in my opinion! I recommend around 25-50 billion CFU to keep the immune system in top shape. Probiotics increase the beneficial bacteria in your system to be able to fight the bad bacteria trying to take over.
1) HMF Fit for School or HMF Child + Multi - These are my 2 go-to vitamins for my kids. They are mid-range probiotic support plus necessary vitamins to keep their immune systems strong.
2) Vitamin D - This super-vitamin is proving to be beneficial at lessening the severity of viruses (even COVID-19). The dose for kids is around 1000IU/day.
3) Vita-Kids Immune - This is by Douglas Labs and is a great addition to the two suggestions above. It provides important immune-supportive nutrients, such as beta-carotene and zinc. It also includes Japanese honeysuckle, blueberry and European elder, used in Herbal Medicine to help relieve cold and flu symptoms.
I am wishing you all a happy and healthy rest of the winter! If you have any questions or need support, don't hesitate to reach out.
Enjoy the rest of the winter!